Kara’s Be Healthy 28 Day Program – A Week of Healthy Recipes
Beet and Carrot Salad
1 lb. carrots
1 lb. beets
2 or more cloves garlic
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. vinegar (or lemon juice)
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
Grate the carrots and beets fine. Add all ingredients! EASY! Enjoy!
You can also add: orange slices, leafy fresh herbs, toasted nuts, grated apple or shallot
Chickpea Zucchini Burgers
- 2 cups chickpeas (boiled, drained and mashed)
- 2 cups zucchini (grated and squeezed)
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 jalapeno pepper (mashed or chopped)
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp. sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp cumin powder (dry roasted)
- 1 tsp garlic (chopped or mashed)
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix very well with your hands.
- Divide the mix into 8 equal portions.
- Heat your grill or nonstick pan and grease it with cooking spray.
- Now take 1 portion of the mix between palms and form a ball gently. Then carefully press in the middle of the ball between palms to form cutlet/patty shape.
- Now put the patty directly on the grill or nonstick pan and let it cook for few minutes until one side turns brown then flip the patty to the other side and cook again until brown.
- Repeat the same process for all the patties.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with your favorite burger buns along with sliced tomatoes, lettuce and cheese and some Caesar salad on the side or as lettuce wraps with some ketchup on the side.
- Source: www.onegreenplanet.org
Mediterranean Olive and Chickpea Burger
Avocado Hummus Sauce
4 garlic cloves pressed
¼ c plus 2 T almond yogurt
¾ c Hummus
salt and pepper
2 T avocado hummus sauce
2 14 oz cans chickpeas
6 cloves garlic
1 c black olives, chopped
salt and pepper
TO MAKE THE AVOCADO HUMMUS SAUCE:
- Simply combine hummus, garlic, almond yogurt, and avocado. Season with salt and pepper, process until smooth.
TO MAKE THE BURGER PATTIES:
- Combine garlic, 2 tablespoons of the avocado hummus sauce, chickpeas in the bowl of a blender or food processor. Season with salt and pepper and process until smooth but not creamy! Now mix in chopped olives, form patties, and fry or bake for around 20 minutes at 390°F.
Use your favorite bun or lettuce wrap and top the burger with the avocado hummus sauce and your favorite toppings.
Garlicky Green Beans with Pine Nuts
1 ½ lbs green beans, trimmed
2 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1/3 c pine nuts (or walnuts)
salt and pepper
Steam green beans until tender, 3-5 minutes
Heat skillet with oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add pine nuts and cook until golden brown, 3 minutes.
Drain green beans and transfer to skillet. Add salt and pepper toss and coat.
Transfer to serving bowl
Heirloom Tomato and Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint
- 1 mini seedless watermelon, about 4 lb.
- 1 3/4 lb. heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 2 Persian cucumbers, sliced
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. white balsamic vinegar
- 3 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
Remove the rind from the watermelon and cut into 3-inch wedges, then thinly slice the wedges.
In a large shallow serving bowl, gently toss together the watermelon, tomato and cucumber slices. Drizzle the olive oil and vinegar over the mixture, sprinkle with the cheese and mint and serve immediately. Serves 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Garden Cookbook, by Jeanne Kelley
Lemon Parsley Grilled Zucchini , SERVES: 4
- 1 pound zucchini, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of garlic salt
- pinch of fresh ground pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in a shallow dish or ziploc bag.
- Marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat your grill to medium-low heat.
- Lay the zucchini strips in a single layer on the hot grill.
Grill for 2-3 minutes on each side, until tender. Source: Againstallgrains.com
Blackened Salmon with Mango-Avocado Salsa, SERVES: 4-6
- 1½ to 2 pounds wild salmon fillets, boneless and skin on
- 3 teaspoons melted grassfed butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cracked pepper
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 1 large ripe mango, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1 large avocado, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup diced grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
*Salsa Variation: Sub out the mango and tomatoes for diced stone fruits! Use 1 pluot, 1 nectarine, and 1 peach and add 1 diced jalapeño!
- Slice the salmon evenly into 4 to 6 smaller fillets.
- Combine the butter and all of the spices in a bowl. Rub all over both sides of the salmon. Leave at room temperature while the grill heats.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, combine the salsa ingredients together in a bowl and store in the refrigerator while the fish cooks.
- Sear the salmon, skinless side down first. Close the grill lid. Cook 1-3 minutes on the first side, depending on how thick the fillets are. (Try not to move them until you are going to flip them over to help keep them in one piece.)
- Using tongs and a metal spatula in the other hand, carefully turn the fish over, so that the skin side is down, and reduce the heat to medium. For charcoal grills, finish cooking over indirect heat furthest from the coals.
- Close the grill lid and finish cooking for another 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets.
- Salmon should be just barely opaque and will start to flake along the center of the fillet when done.
- Serve hot with the mango-avocado salsa spooned over it.
- Source: www.Againstallgrain.com
Grilled Flank Steak with Cilantro Balsamic Marinade, SERVES: 6 to 8
PREP TIME: 15 mins COOK TIME: 10 mins TOTAL TIME: 25 mins
- 1/2 cup good quality balsamic vinegar (no added sugar)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, or Kerry Gold butter or melted ghee
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 shallot, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 3 pounds flank steak
- Combine the first 9 ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Place the steaks in a large dish or a resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade overtop. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours, but no more. Turn the steaks over in the marinade half way through.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Remove the steaks from the marinade and blot off any excess with paper towels.
- Grill the steaks for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, depending on thickness, for medium-rare doneness.
Remove from the grill and tent with foil for 15 minutes to allow the meat to rest and the juices to redistribute. Slice thinly against the grain. Source: www.againstallgrain.com
3 Yellow squash
12 Green onions, roots trimmed
12 Mushrooms, button or portabella
3 Red Pepper, seeded and halved or quartered
2 T Olive oil
3 T balsamic vinegar
1 clove Garlic
1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp chopped fresh basil
½ tsp chopped fresh rosemary
Brush vegetables with oil to coat lightly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Grill until tender. Arrange vegetables on platter. Drizzle with dressing. Serve veggies warm or at room temperature. Source: Foodnetwork.com
18 Grilled Vegetable Recipes for Cookout